F Tuba Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Badgley on April 02, 2001 at 18:12:15:

Ok, here goes, I am looking to purchase my first F tuba. I have several different models in mind and have a few questions about each and I was wondering some of your opinions. Remember I am trying to find a horn that compliments my 188 nicely too.

1. Yamaha 621. I like the way this horn compliments my 188 but is this tuba too small? I need an all-purpose F tuba and I am not sure if this horn will do it. I love the sound I get from it and realize it would be a perfect solo or quintet horn, but can this horn hold its own in an orchestra or wind ensemble rehearsal or is it just too small to do the job?

2. Meinl-Weston 45slp. I love the big sound but it seems to me that there are times when the sound can be too big. This horn can sound like a 4/4 CC tuba at times and there are some solo and quintet pieces that I can see that this horn will be either too big or not the sound I am looking for at that time.

3. Mirafone 181. This horn is nice and has a great sound but it is not comfortable for me to play. The spatulas are places very close together and I have very large hands and it makes it uncomfortable to play. Should I just learn to deal with it or is there a better solution?

4. Yamaha 822. Again I am in love with the sound of this horn but can find it sometimes to dark it does not seem to compliment my 188 very well and is not the sound I am looking for in an F tuba but I still love the sound I get (if that makes any sense).

Some horn I have not played but would like to before buying are the gronitz F tuba (But I have heard that they are comparable to the Yamaha 822 am I wrong?) And the Willson 3400. Is this horn at all like the 45SLP?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Brian Badgley

Follow Ups: