Re: F Tuba Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 02, 2001 at 18:35:52:

In Reply to: F Tuba Questions posted by Brian Badgley on April 02, 2001 at 18:12:15:

I have played a 621 F tuba in small ensembles and as the high voice in a large wind band and in a small orchestra, all with good success. I don't think it would carry its weight as the only tuba in a 40-person wind ensemble, or even as the second tuba, but would do fine playing the upper parts as a third. I have heard the 621 performed in the second part of the Symphony Fantastique with a large professional orchestra, and it held its own. But it was in the hands of a top pro--I'd have wanted a bigger horn to give myself a bit more dynamic headroom.

To me, the Willson has a sweeter, bigger sound than the Meinl-Weston--no comparison to my ears. It's the only large F that I would consider, if I wanted a large F. Some folks do wonderfully on the 822, but the one time I play one I just could not get into it. But I seriously enjoyed the time I had with the Willson.

The Miraphone F seems to me like it has all the weaknesses of the 621 (relatively small size) without the compensation of the great 621 low register. The sound of the Miraphone up high is quite beautiful, but for sheer versatility, I greatly prefer the 621.

Of all who have played by 621 and been impressed by it, the Miraphone contrabass players seem to like it the most. There is something compatible between the two instruments, and players who like one seem to like the other.

Follow Ups: