Re: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on September 29, 2003 at 17:28:23:

In Reply to: Q&A for me in my weight los experiment posted by David L. Allen on September 29, 2003 at 13:43:57:

Hi David,

Congratulations for making a big step on working on your health issues! You have my prayers in the journey you face.

Just some random input from my end. In deciding to fight an underactive thyroid, I have kicked myself into high gear when it comes to getting into shape. I'm playing basketball and soccer, and doing a lot of running. I'm not getting as much of a chance, temporarily being out of school, to carry around my "body bag" on my back. I am doing weight lifting. I am a vegetarian, so eating a lot is often difficult. I will share the changes I have noticed:

Strength-wise, I feel it is easier to put "energy" into playing. Core exercises help my breathing power, and my running(solo and within the scope of team sports) and swimming helps my breathing as a whole. It is easier to "fill up" the horn, and easier to keep good posture, support the instrument, etc. My playing has also improved as a result of gained self-confidence. Physical and mental problems plagued me for years as a result of an out-of-balance thyroid, and a new medication has solved this, largely, for me. My physical abilities have multiplied, and my psychological state is actually excellent for the first time in years!

Overall, my opinion is that my playing has improved greatly, if for no other reason than the fact I believe in myself more, and have greater physical ability to utilize the energy that "100% effort" tuba playing takes. I would be very interested in the results you discover, and hope you do consider publishing them! Being interested in psychology, this is one area I always wondered what the connection with playing would yield.

Best of luck in your surgery!
-lisa

Follow Ups: