Re: ST. PETES

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on September 23, 2003 at 11:39:05:

In Reply to: ST. PETES posted by :) on September 21, 2003 at 21:20:39:

I got mine in 1997 from Die Tuba. It has played very well for the most part, but I had an on going valve problem until I had Dan Oberloh in Seattle build new back bearings. It seems the Russians concept of precision isn't quite to the standards needed for proper rotary valve construction. Now is is working very well and I think it will be fine for years to come. The other negative aspects are often mentioned are thin metal, thin finish, and poorly soldered joints. I have not observed the latter problem, but the other points are correct. I use a hard case, so there are almost not dents in mine. The nickel plating is wearing thin in those areas where contact is common, but to me at least, that is just a sign that I play this thing a lot. I think it is true that several other tubas would play as well and cost less when the added valve work is considered, but the horn plays well for me now, and I have no thoughts of changing. I would never suggest a St Pete for a middle school or high school.

Follow Ups: