Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 10, 2003 at 07:51:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've... posted by I dunno Matt on September 10, 2003 at 02:08:22:

I know that the Howarth was written for PJBE, BUT being as Mr. Fletcher was the only real "bass" instrument, the line is better handed off to another instrument.

BTW, I worked this up on CC. I can still play it. However, due to the real context of the piece, I would substitute a euph or hand it off. There is nothing wrong with working it up on contrabass to build up the strength and more importantly the mental security of being able to play it with extra weight involved. When played in performance, I would use whatever is easiest to play the part on, so that music would be the priority. More than likely, that would be a SMALL F or a euph(tenor tuba).

Back to the reference, a lot of atheletes nowadays lift weights more than ever. However, when in contest, they use the lightest equipment available. This way there physical performance can be second to put concentration on the task at hand.

FWIW, I would take the solo in Bydlo and play it myself. I would consult with the director first to see what instrument he/she would prefer, with the frame of reference that the part was written for a French Tuba in C, but if the conductor told me to do it on the Harvard BBBb, I would because, ultimately, the conductor is resposible for the overall interpretation of the piece.

I agree with you that a lot of the other stuff in the piece is fun ensemble playing. I think too much pressure is put on Bydlo. If the melody were in any other voice, NO TUBA PLAYER ALIVE would even care. Most people recognize either the promenade theme or Great Gate of Kiev, not the "filler" in between. Not to say it isn't good music, just not as memorable as the other movements.

Matt G

Follow Ups: