Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I dunno Matt on September 10, 2003 at 02:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Omigosh, Look what I've... posted by Matt G on September 09, 2003 at 13:34:25:

Mr. Howarth was writing for a very select group, and NOT for the general public.
And the tubists that played with the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble were no slouchs.

We played this arrangement last summer, and for bydlo, sure the basses do play bass line, but I just cannot imagine anything more from Howarth than simply writing for the specific group (PJBE) - lackluster world-wide-community-of-tubists-attempting-Bydlo-notwithstanding.

In college, I worked and worked and worked on this solo to get it - perish the thought that I'd clam it, even on the little Mirafone rotary tenor tuba I had. Maybe it WAS "pridefulness" or maybe I just wanted to perform something that the majority of us will never play in a setting outside of college, and even then only if you're really really lucky. Sadly, 5 busted ribs, courtesy of a bobtail truck running a stopsign (hit me on my bicycle 3 weeks before the performance) - compelled me to finally give it up and hand it off to the trombone. Oh well. Knock on wood I don't think I'd ever try to work it up again, theres just too much other fun stuff in that piece to spoil it fretting over the solo, especially when the tbn will take the heat if he clams.

Now...with all that said...I wanna ask some of these napster graduates...can I go to kazaa to download the excerpt? Anyone know the answer?

Phelpsie

Follow Ups: