Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Practice time on September 03, 2003 at 21:05:56:

In Reply to: Re: Becoming a professional posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 19:21:06:

Something I forgot that I wanted to respond to is, 2-3 hours a day should be enough for anyone. It all depends on how focused your practice is and that one doesn't just fart around in the practice room for hours on end. I always say, if you haven't accomplished anything in your time of practice, you are banging your head against the wall. Meaning, then you are just doing something wrong and you aren't teaching yourself anything that needs to be learned. I could go in the practice room and play over a solo that needs work and hit everything even all the parts that I can play, which are numerous in a lot of people's practice. If one just sits and practices the parts that are giving them trouble and the surrounding measure around the problem areas, then we give ourselves more time to work on other things that need help as well, instead of wasting time playing over the whole piece when we know we can play those parts because they are no brainers. Sorry, this kind of turned into a rant and rave from my part, but I'm basically saying 2-3 hours is enough time for practice as long as it's focused. More is good too, don't get me wrong. But to subject your mind to constant bombardment of teaching tends to be a lot if you do 6-8 hours a day. Sorry for the rant.

Sincerely

R.D. Black

Follow Ups: