Re: Re: Becoming a professional

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ed on September 03, 2003 at 20:37:39:

In Reply to: Re: Becoming a professional posted by real answers on September 03, 2003 at 19:21:06:

It sounds like you are jaded from either many failures, or lack of opportunities. Of course, those who make a living playing the tuba create their own opportunities. A few of your suggestions are irresponsible, the rest are worthless. I can tell you all, that no orchestra on this continent will hire you if you have not been to school. So many people say that music school is useless, just "Go out and play." This is truly not the case. An orchestra needs to know that you have been educated not only in playing the tuba, but also in music history, theory, analysis ... all of these things together plus a million things more make an orchestra musician. It's fine to play a lot of notes really fast, and work for months on excerpts and play the hell out of an audition, but I can tell you that you won't even get in the door without some papers. And once you've finished school, lots of it with a lot of teachers, you would need to go out in the world and prove yourself - though you won't be making a lot of money. Only with the right amount of education, plus experience in the real world, will you have a shot at playing with an orchestra full time. But don't take my word for it, Curious Parent, and especially don't take "real answer's" word for it. Contact your local symphony orchestra and ask to speak with a musician who plays. Obviously, "real answer" has simply given up on even trying.

Follow Ups: