Re: BUZZING(AT)!!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham W. on September 17, 2002 at 21:57:47:

In Reply to: BUZZING(AT)!!!!!!!!! posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 17, 2002 at 21:36:09:

I want all of the professional players and teachers to take a deep breath and before you start finding IP addresses and home addresses, I'll take this one...

Providing restriction is a big no-no! Well, maybe not a huge disobedience but most teachers won't let you do it. There is no need for it. If you cannot buzz below Bb, you now have your first goal to work for on the mouthpiece. Granted it does take a LOT of air to buzz very low notes, but if I am not mistaken, I can buzz about a G or F for a good second or two! The key is a lot of air. Don't worry if you cant hold it for very long. It takes a lot more air to buzz than to play. My teacher here at good ol' Emory (Michael Moore) says, "If you can buzz it, you can play it." (He found my high F that had been hiding from me). I am sure the reverse is true. Also when buzzing low, think loud. Give buzzing without a mouthpiece a try too. Just don't do it in crowded elevators or subways.

Graham W.

Follow Ups: