Low brass valved instrument help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on September 17, 2002 at 20:48:27:

Hey all,

I could use some opinions on a related instrument to our beloved tubas and euphoniums. I have a friend that runs a big band that plays 3-4 jobs a month. He has asked me to play with them as he knows I have some trombone skills. I probably have good highschool or early undergrad slide skills(maybe). I do own a good Conn straight tenor (a classic from the 50s in mint condition I payed $150 for!). But, I'm thinking of going to a a valve trombone on his suggestion. (What the heck, Ellington had one in his band!).

Sooooo, do any of you folks have any recomendations regarding VALVE TROMBONES?
Brands, models, etc. I'd like to find one that is as free blowing as possible (maybe an oxymron!) as to not mess with my pea-sized euph/tuba-centric brain and the involved processes!

My friend has shared with me that he wants to fire one of his regulars (bad attitude, has been late for several jobs, etc.) and plug me in his spot, The band plays a lot of swing charts and the valved trombone would fill in well. I have also "voluteered" to drag a borrowed bass trombone with me to use on the few charts it's called for. I have worked with this guy on a lot of smaller group jobs, so he's comfortable with me (not to mention he's one of my closest friends).

Any help, and I mean any help would be appreciated, as this is one horn I've had very little contact with! Any of you retailers would be of particular help as I need to find one to purchase.

Thanks a bunch!

LV

Follow Ups: