Re: Re: Low brass valved instrument help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 18, 2002 at 10:46:43:

In Reply to: Re: Low brass valved instrument help! posted by Lew on September 18, 2002 at 09:38:46:

Lew scans the field pretty well. I have found the King 3B the best of those, I have tried. Well worth the higher price over the then available Conn (the one in the standard configuration).

But I am not sure, that it would have been worth the higher prices over the two very cheap Mahillon valve bones, that I found some years ago. They really can scream.

For the fun of it I searched an obvious place on the net for, what is available today. The picture above here shows a Blessing Scholastic. The link below will take you to a folder (in the file section of an open Yahoo group) with the 3 most obvious links. I am not involved in any of the sales, and I am not endorsing any of them.

The maybe most famous valve boner ever, Bob Brookmeyer, once showed me his instrument at a concert in Jazzhouse Montmartre in Copenhagen. The bell was from the Minnick slide tenor, that for some years had a Conn version called 100H. The valve section was a Conn, which Minnick had customised with 1st and 3rd valve triggers.

Rob McConnell also used a Conn valve section, but combined it with the bell of the large bore from a Conn 8H.

Klaus

Follow Ups: