Re: Tuba Harmon Mute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on September 17, 2002 at 10:00:50:

In Reply to: Tuba Harmon Mute posted by Robert Brewer on September 15, 2002 at 12:42:48:

Try making an adaptor for a trombone Harmon. I've used rubber foam (actually shoe sole material) to adapt a trombone Harmon to a larger trombone bell. Also an interesting trick I've done which you might experiment with is to douple them up, putting a trumpet Harmon into the trombone Harmon, which produces more of the "Harmon sound" than the trombone on gets by itself. The sound is so prdominently high frequencies that I don't think you can come close to the "Miles" effect on a tuba at all, but doubling them might work. Be prepared for tons of back-pressure, it's very tiring.
I just had a thought that it typical of my warped mind- you can buy plexiglas or foam (craft store) already cut in circles, the size to fit inside your bell. Then cut several holes in it and put a bunch of trumpet Harmon mutes in them so you have a whole rack of them. It should give the right sound and be less back pressure. I think it'll work. Good luck.

Follow Ups: