Re: Re: Re: Tuba Harmon Mute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on September 17, 2002 at 22:02:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba Harmon Mute posted by Klaus on September 17, 2002 at 16:52:53:

You're probably right about the pitch, but I think a trial would be useful. Maybe a bucket inverted in the bell to add volume? You just never know...

The threading on Giardinelli horm mouthpieces is 3/4 inch, 36 threads per inch. I think 18mm is just too big to work. It's almost exactly the minor diameter of the thread, which means there would be no thickness at the top of the cup where the threads are. The only way to do it would be to make a rim that would add depth to the cup to give more room for the taper between the interface and the inner diameter. Making an existing mouthpiece deeper that way adversly affects the playability, usually.

I made a French horn shank for a very shallow trombone mouthpiece one time, and I thought it actually worked pretty well on horn. I don't know what a horn player would think about it, however. I've never understood why horn players, who play the same range I do on trombone, use such small diameter mouthpieces, other than "tradition".

Follow Ups: