Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on September 10, 2002 at 11:58:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by GC on September 10, 2002 at 11:45:50:

Here's a question:

When someone decides to get an "education" degree (I have one of them-there thaings, btw...Don't hold it against me.) they spend most of their time either feeding the classrooms of various university departments' "jock" courses (the university-wide equivalents of "Music Appreciation") or studying courses in their own specialty field of interest. Less than one year is spent in becoming an "expert" in "education". The only hand's-on experience is part of a semester/part of a day "student teaching" in some idyllic situation (almost always in one of the best schools in town). As those (like myself) get "certified", what real qualification does this certification offer?

1/ As far as communication and classroom control is concerned (assuming knowledge), either someone "has it" or they don't. No goofy "education" textbook nor goofy "education" professor will give that to them.

2/ If they don't "have it", their only other chance to "get it" is through experience...and hopefully they're a quick study.

Follow Ups: