Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D on September 11, 2002 at 10:10:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why should we have to defend teachers? posted by GC on September 10, 2002 at 13:55:31:

This group of commentary brings us back to the original post. If skills needed in the classroom are not being taught in the educational classes (they weren't when I was in college 30 years ago either), what IS being taught?

Teachers, by and large, do exactly what is expected of them by the administration. They teach job skills. The few teachers mentioned on this discussion are the exception and not the rule based on my observations. Lest anyone take the point that an observation isn't really worth anything: my parents - both teachers, excellent in their fields, prepared kids for the job market; personal - taught in college (Ass't. Professor) and in public schools (band director), prepared kids for the job market; have 2 kids - 1 in college preparing for the job market but wanting to do it on his terms and not theirs and the other in 7th grade being told that she needs to start deciding what she is going to do in the job market (a little young don't you think?).

Some of the European systems that track students into career paths don't seem like such a bad idea after all. If a student has a thirst for knowledge, then the teacher should be allowed by the school district to follow that path. If, however, the students in the class are destined for hourly employment, then job market mentality should be used.

My thoughts about teachers have never changed. There are excellent ones and there are terrible ones and the same goes for parents. We cannot blame teachers for doing what they have been assigned to do, so I see no need to defend them for doing the intended job.

Follow Ups: