Thayers on tubas....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin H. on September 17, 2001 at 16:09:30:

Hello BBS,
I have been wondering about this and have read nearly every post in the archives about this subject. It seems the idea has been dismissed due to these factors: 5 thayers would take up way too much space; the wrap would be hell to get it to work (since they all have to be open wrap); all of them would have to be removable to service the valve; it would have a really long throw; and resistance is not neccissarily a bad thing, so thayers may not even be neccissary for tuba. I looked through all of them, but none seemed to mention the possibility of having 4 pistons and a thayer for the 5th. That would solve all but one of those problems, the one being the long throw. One thayer would not take up all that much space. You could get the wrap to work (since there would only be one). You could make it removable, again, because there is only one. Finally, the 5th valve is used mainly in the low register, and if there was less resistance, then perhaps it would make for a really open low register. I don't think that the throw would be all that terrible, and even if it was, you could put it on the left hand. What does everyone think of this? Has anyone else thought of this? comments? thanks,

Austin

Follow Ups: