Re: Horn for an Education Major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on September 14, 2001 at 10:05:47:

In Reply to: Horn for an Education Major posted by Greg S. on September 13, 2001 at 23:50:30:

Take your time, spend a little money and go try out several horns. It is worth the money.

The places I would suggest are Custom Music, Woodwind/Brasswind, Baltimore Brass, and Dillon Music (sorry if there are others who I overlooked) as they are the most likely to have instruments for you to play. Take a notebook and a listener with you and be critical. Every note should speak and have a good tone quality. Pitch should be close (let the listener carry a tuner and watch it!). Deciding whether you want piston or rotary, 4 or 5 valve are all considerations prior to the purchase.

New or used? What will make you the happiest? Or is it all about the sound? intonation? response(upper and lower registers)?

Will you take someone else's opinion? or do you want to play the horn?

Recommendations from persons on this BBS are great. You seem to have a good grasp of the type instrument you want. The best thing you can now do is go play them.

Performing can be a tremendous thing so take your time to get a horn that is right for you.

Leave some money for the possibility that you might need to get a new mouthpiece to get the most out of the horn. It might take several new mouthpieces before you find what works best for you and the horn.

My opinion for what its worth.

Follow Ups: