Horn for an Education Major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg S. on September 13, 2001 at 23:50:30:

Greetings,

I am a freshmen Music Ed. Major at Central Michigan University. I am in the market for an instrument. I have a decent idea of what I want, mind you I haven't played many instruments, but from the archives, I think I know what I want. I am looking a five rotary valve CC, 4/4. My teacher recommended a Miraphone 186-5U, but I'm not sure if I like those. Mind you, I haven't spent days with one in my lap, but from the time I have played them, the Miraphone sound doesn't seem to fit me. I currently play a B & S PT-1, which I like, but I want to make the switch to CC. From past posts, I seem to like the Hirsbrunner HB-2, and perhaps the MW 2155. I've also heard some good things from my collegues about the Willson 3050S, but I'm not too familar with that instrument. I'm also looking into the Perantucci 4/4 CC, I *think* it's the PT-20. I believe they no longer make the PT-4, but I'm not quite sure.
I will be using the horn for large ensembles, tuba quartet, tuba/euphonium ensemble, *hopefully* a brass quintet, *hopefully* orchestra, and solo work. I am looking for a horn that I will be able to use for a long time. After college I may do grad school, or a get a job, not quite sure yet. But either way I hope to sometime in my life get a decent private studio
This is a decision that I do not want to rush into. I've already got enough capitol secured that I'm pretty much sure I can afford all the horns listed, based on prices shown in the archives.
I'm just curious as to the all of your thoughts on these horns and my situation.

The F won't be until grad school!!!

Thank You,

Greg

Follow Ups: