Absence makes the heart grow fonder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on September 12, 2001 at 13:16:24:

My horn is in Switzerland for an overhaul. Since the company wasn't able to get my HB-6 to me when I needed it (beginning of Sept.), the shop with whom I am dealing sent me a loaner.

These are my observations of the loaner, a B&S PT-4 (also marked Saunders – made in China). Granted I do not know the history of this horn, and my comparison to my BAT may be a bit biased, but here it goes ...

When I first took it out of the packing crate, I saw a shiny, dent free, rather pretty looking (and petite) horn. The valves showed little wear (or perhaps a recent replating). Unfortunately, I decided to play it. This horn is closer to being a flat CC# horn (about 30 cents flat) than a sharp CC. I need to use 2 tuning bits and pull _way_ out to even get close to A440. It looks like I’m playing something out of a Dr. Seuss book! No pair of harmonics are in tune, from CCC to c. The valve positioning (4-p 1-r) is suited with for a player with severe osteoarthritic deformities, broken and incorrectly set fingers, or perhaps fingers in excess of 6" long each (including the thumb). The first 2 valves need constant oiling to keep from sticking – it feels like an alignment issue. One *good* thing about the horn is the placement of the tuning slides. They are all easy to pull to make adjustments while playing. Too bad I have to do that with every note I play.

I’m almost ashamed to show up to symphony rehearsals with this beast – perhaps I’d be better off with a beat up fiberglass sousaphone that says "Go Wildcats!" across the bell. I know – what do I expect from a loaner?

Anyone know if the PT-4 that I’m using is typical? Or is this horn the one that _wasn’t_ “handpicked from the factory by such-and-such professional” (to use an oft used eb*y selling point)?

Follow Ups: