Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: information please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on September 09, 2001 at 21:59:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: information please posted by Lew on September 09, 2001 at 13:49:28:

It's definately a BBb. I have exactly the same model as this. serial 5xxxx

Her descriptions and measurements fit the bill exactly. Also, as she mentioned in one of the posts, The high register is real easy and sweet for a BBb, but it isn't a small-sound. it's a compact 4/4 w/ a nice bell. The funky paired tubing following and affixed to the top bow is the fourth valve wrap - 'bout 6' long.

Yes, the fourth valve is actually shorter than the rest. I'm not sure why the other three are as long as they are. The ports on the valves are pretty far from the bottom of the valve body itself. Yours, however, does appear buggered with a different cap & fat stem.

The bow & bell proportions are very similar to the "new" King/Conn horns which indeed are based on the designs of these old horns!

Mine is presently undergoing overhaul & conversion to front-action (yep, w/the King valveset) & some custom stuff. It was tiring to hold as a top-action horn. I'm expecting the first 'fitting' by Christmas.

If it even kinda plays, that horn is a keeper. It will be worth fixing-up to any tubist w/a jones for the York tone.

Congrats,
Mark Mazak

Follow Ups: