Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 09, 2001 at 21:29:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection posted by Chuck Jackson on September 09, 2001 at 20:56:00:

This thread, and especially this posting, starts catching my interest. Normally I will never post on US educational matters beyond more humble levels, where I might have some general knowledge cum opinion to contribute.

My question basically is:

Do US army, navy, or whatever military branches have their own music schools/conservatories?

I know, that the British army has its famous Kneller Hall School of Music. Also that there is an RAF equivalent, while I have not researched the British navy and marines areas.

Equally I know, that the Polish army has (at least had) a musical Elyseum in Gdansk. I might have told how I took part in winning a literary band battle with their huge students band back in 1993.

But everything I deduced from this board has told me, that in the US the musicians, at least in their horn and conical low brass incarnations, let themselves be educated as general musicians on universities/conservatories. Only thereafter to audition for military employments.

In my own country the situation basically is the same as in my hitherto understanding of the US situation. Only that there is a catastrophal downsizing process in the making.

Klaus

Follow Ups: