Re: Kalison D.S.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd on September 05, 2001 at 19:11:28:

In Reply to: Kalison D.S. posted by EF on September 05, 2001 at 04:46:55:

Hey,

I used to own a Kalison. I only had it for about a year. I really liked how easy it was to play (it had the best pistons) but the sound seemed too bright and directional for my tastes. I traded it in and got a Meinl Weston 2165 that I traded a few years later for a Conn 56J. For me...the Conn 56J is a combination of the smooth valves and agility I had with the Kalison and the dark colorful sound of my Meinl Weston.

I'm not a big fan of the Kalison Daryl Smith model horns, however one of my colleages, who was a senior when I started college, played a Kalison (DS) exclusively and he was a great player.

Another side note: I found that the Kalison DS models were VERY mouthpiece picky. Many people I have talked to have said the same. I had great results with a Dillon Pat Sheridan OS1 mouthpiece. It was a big mouthpiece, but I found that it gave me a darker and more round sound. My college colleage used a Perantucci PT-88 which I believe is rather similar to the Sheridan mouthpiece. You may want to give that a shot.

Good luck!
Todd Morgan

Follow Ups: