Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 05, 2001 at 11:05:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Jay Bertolet on September 04, 2001 at 20:52:28:

All analogies are flawed, but I disagree with your determination of what those flaws are in this case. The real flaw in this case is that there's something to return in the case of the cimbasso, but your audience can't give the performance back to you. The money, in my opinion, is a difference in size but not in character. People doing custom work need to know that they will be compensated for doing it. As for your statement that you fabricate special parts, I disagree. You take parts that you have been making for years, and assemble them in beautiful and artistic ways. Maybe that's just a semantic disagreement, though.

Frankly, I also find it strange if they consider a 5-valve Eb cimbasso 'custom' and a 4-valve 'stock'. Do they have a lot of high-school cimbassists? It is weird, but perhaps they have some reason we've not considered.

Maybe if you call them, point out your ability to endorse their product to students and other pros, and make an offer to offset any loss if you don't like the instrument, they'll go for it.

Joe Baker, who would love to try playing a cimbasso just to see what it's like.

Follow Ups: