Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 04, 2001 at 20:52:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Joe Baker on September 04, 2001 at 12:27:57:

I think I understand your point and I respect your opinion. I just disagree. Here's why:

Your analogy is flawed. For one, we're not charging in excess of $5000.00 to attend concerts. Would you buy a car without test driving it, knowing that there was no return option? This logic doesn't apply to small ticket items like hot dogs or concert tickets but when we're talking 4 and 5 figures, it applies. Even if the price wasn't an issue, you're wrong about the orchestra not having to fabricate special parts for a concert. Every night, we fabricate lots of special parts, making the resultant product customized in the extreme. That's called making art.

Listen, I'm absolutely the last person to sit here and beat my personal drum as a professional player. I do not ever expect special treatment from those businessmen I deal with and if it does happen, I'm real sure to make mention of it in support of those who treated me nice. You're absolutely correct in that I'm not a likely repeat customer with Meinl-Weston. My horn situation is pretty solid right now and none of my other instruments are M-W. But what kind of free advertising would I be? Let's look at the other side of the coin. Let's say they made me a wonderful instrument, one I absolutely loved to play and sounded great on. Certainly, I'd use it every chance I got. Cimbassos aren't exactly common and every person who saw me using it and was curious enough to ask would be told about who made it and how wonderful it was. Considering the small scale of our "community" and my heightened exposure as a professional player, I imagine word would get around pretty quick about such a horn. You have to admit that such "grass roots" advertising might generate more sales for the company. It certainly couldn't hurt. My extra exposure as a professional player could have been something the MW people used.

Your suggestion about leaving earnest money is an interesting one. It never occurred to me because the situation seemed to be a "take it or leave it" proposal right from the start. I guess I'll keep it in mind for future transactions.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: