RE: tubas in swing band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on September 19, 2000 at 10:09:46:

After subbing with the Al Pierson and The Guy Lombardo Royal Canadians in the Arkansas, Mississippi, Tenessee area, as well as other dixieland and jazz ventures, I can tell you that the best idea for the bass line in a swing/dance band is to have someone who can play both tuba/upright bass. Yes, you can make the band work with one or the other, but you miss some of the capabilities of the band if you don't utilize both instruments. In my experience, we did not use the tuba in a dance gig unless we could mike the instrument. This was more for the band's sake than the listener's. My upright is amplified, therefore the tuba had to have a uniform presence, and not just a directional sound. This is true regardless of the direction of the bell, size of bell/bore, or type of horn. By miking the tuba, you also allow yourself the luxury of giving more concern to the style of tongueing, shape of notes, and pushing the correct tempo in contrast to projecting and being felt.

In a concert setting, I was more able to switch between instruments according to my desire and the leader's preference. Some of their charts call specifically for tuba, and i enjoy playing tuba on those. I feel that there is an historic authenticity that calls for the tuba on those, even if some of those selections are easier to play on the upright.

Keep in mind that there are situations that specifically call for one instrument over the other. Have the presence of mind to be aware of those times and adjust accordingly.

Follow Ups: