Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vintage Hirsbrunner horns?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 29, 1999 at 22:47:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vintage Hirsbrunner horns? posted by Chuck Jackson on September 29, 1999 at 13:54:01:

Sorry, I can't give you any info on Kabin's email address as I don't know it. Actually, Kabin and I have never met. I think he came along after I had left Michigan. I haven't spent any serious time in Michigan since 1984. And now that you mention it, maybe there was something in the water. I'm sure everybody must have this same experience to one degree or another but it sure struck me as odd how many tuba playing buddies I have that are from the Detroit area and are currently doing one gig or another. Me personally, I think it is a testiment to the great teachers that worked in that area, namely Abe Torchinsky, Fritz Kaenzig, Wes Jacobs, and Oscar LaGasse. But it does make you wonder when you consider the number of names like Velvet Brown, David Pack, Kabin Thomas, Alan Moss, and myself. You might also throw in Warren Deck, though he was from the western side of the state but he did study in Ann Arbor. And those are just the ones I know of on tuba. One trumpet player I worked with, Jim Wilt, went on to land a job in the Houston Symphony. All in all, I'd say the southeast corner of Michigan has a rich history of fine brass players. That's why I'm asking all these questions because when you're in a situation like that, it is easy to lose track of your friends while you're doing your own thing. Everybody just sort of takes off and you hear about what they're doing years later. Anyhow, thanks for the info!

Follow Ups: