Re: Re: need help adjusting to different tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 05, 1999 at 08:07:24:

In Reply to: Re: need help adjusting to different tuba posted by Michael Russo on September 04, 1999 at 21:49:18:

Mike is dead right in his comments. I remember when he got his CC tuba and it was the most intense Christmas vacation I ever saw a student have. One of the things that has carried Mike so far in his playing is his concentration and sense of direction. What he suggests is excellent advice. Give yourself a very specific goal to achieve in a specific time frame. This could be anything from a solo performance to an ensemble concert. Then concentrate on exactly what you'll be playing and making it right. If you decide you want to work just generally during that period as well, I would suggest playing some music that you know really well. That way, you've isolated the one variable in your current situation, that being the new tuba/fingerings. This is the same advice I gave one of my current students who switched to CC a couple of days ago. Good luck!

P.S.>On an unrelated thought, for those of you who wonder why professional players take the time to teach lessons as well, I can say from my own experiences it has alot to do with students like Mike Russo. There are very few things in life as satisfying as working with a student and then watching them take that knowledge and turn it into a quality product through hard work and dedication. Thanks Mike!

Follow Ups: