Re: Re: How do I open my sound????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tommo on September 02, 1999 at 04:08:41:

In Reply to: Re: How do I open my sound???? posted by Phil Rubin on September 01, 1999 at 23:41:06:

I agree with Phil that the best way to open your sound starts in the mouth. I took singing lessons for a few years and some ideas on vocal production transfer very well over to the tuba.

Singing teachers constantly say the way to get the best sound is to OPEN UP. Hmmmm...what the heck does open up mean?! Opening up refers to "opening" the aural resonanting chambers in your body. The main one are the chest, the sinus chambers, and the mouth. The chest and sinus chambers are hard to talk about in a short space, and the results aren't all that forthcoming but...the mouth is where I think it all happens.

It's simple, just trying and create the largest possible space inside your mouth...think of the inside of a huge gothic cathedral with its high, arched cealing. Experiment by doing this. Say EEEEE (as in Igor), say eeeehhh (as in egg), say uuuuuuu (as in pool), say aaaahh (just like at the doctor)..now say OOOOOOOH (as in toffee). Notice how much space is created by sing this OOH vowel sound? Try playing long tones whilst concentrating on this using this vowel sound. Hope I've been of a little help and good luck!

tommo

Follow Ups: