Re: Re: Re: ITEA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Frederiksen on October 31, 2003 at 14:22:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: ITEA posted by one more time only on October 31, 2003 at 12:42:47:

I can tell you from experience, not everyone is a writer and, no matter what you, you cannot get some people to write anything. Next there are those that write and you do not want them to write for one reason or another.

When I was writing the Jacobs book, I wanted comments from several members of the Chicago Symphony. Some had it right away, some came up with something once they realized I was doing it with Mr Jacobs' blessing then there were those that I nagged forever with no luck. Some of them just did not want to put anything in writing, others just plain didn't want to write anything, no way to get something from them.

On the other hand, there are those who are writing to inflate their egos and put out a batch of psycho-babble, often containing a lot of errors. What do you do with this, publish it or throw it in the can? Sometimes it is a tough decision being the editor of an instrument journal, it can be a thankless job.

Since I advertise in all brass journals, I get them all sent to me. Yes, there are fewer tuba players than all the other brass instruments but I feel the ITEA Journal is on a par with those from the ITA, ITG and IHS. Each has their moments, good and bad.

As far as the web site, ITEA is hands down the bottom of the barrel, no discussion here! Look at the ITG and ITA sites and they are light years ahead. For example, the events section of the ITG and ITA have a lot of listings - ITEA many times does not even list things. Guess that's why out of all the brass lists (which I subscribe to all) Tubenet by far has the most activity, along with the most bulls**t.

Follow Ups: