Re: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on October 22, 2003 at 21:56:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions posted by sorry on October 22, 2003 at 20:46:00:

Wow, a demon??

I would hope that we could disagree without personal attacks & claiming that one thing or another 'sucks'. But I must say it seems a little small-minded to consider classical music the only music that is educational. I would say that it is only more educational if the object is to learn about classical music. I'll get slaughtered on this site for saying it, but I'm just not a huge fan of classical. Does that mean I don't like music?? People who know me would certainly be surprised to hear that!!

I do think that SOME classical can SOMETIMES work on the football field, but it is disingenuous to pretend it's artistic when it's done. In 1979 I played trombone in the North Texas marching band, and our halftime included a classical piece (I think it was a section from 1812, but it's been a long time) -- and "Looking Through the Eyes of Love", a pop tune if ever there was one. Both were excellent, effective, music, but were primarily entertainment, not high art. I learned NOTHING from performing the piece on the field. In fact, the thing that captured my imagination, and caused me to hit the practice room, was the phrasing of the trombone solo on "Looking". I still remember the sound of that piece, and can't even remember what the classical piece was!!

As for education, my son is practically a beginner, but he's learned how to play phrases (not notes), and how to tune, balance, and play with a really nice tone. He's done that largely because the songs they're playing (T.O. and Dirty Boogie) are really enjoyable to him, and motivate him to work much harder than he would if he were playing some classical piece that doesn't interest him.

Ultimately, my point is that just because a song is recognizable to the unwashed in the stands does NOT mean it isn't perfectly fine music, and it CERTAINLY doesn't mean it isn't educational.

Joe Baker, who learned a lot about music in both concert band AND jazz band -- AND from transcribing and playing Chicago arrangements.

Follow Ups: