Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on October 23, 2003 at 11:10:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marching Band Competitions posted by not gonna agree on October 23, 2003 at 10:28:40:

Hmm. We may agree a LITTLE more than we think; by "Pop" I had in mind a broader definition, basically of "crowd pleasing", whereas I'm beginning to understand that you mean something more akin to "Top-40" or at least "Golden oldies". I DO agree that the vast majority of shows that attempt to play music-recorded-by-guys-with-guitars are pretty bad; but after seeing what my son's band director has done with a mostly jazz half-time, I'm convinced it could be done well. But I certainly DO agree that the music played in any wind band - marching or not -- should be more complex than most 3 1/2 minute top-40 songs.

Where we can agree to disagree is the part about whether it matters if people listen. From a practical standpoint, when people like the band they support it -- with attendance at concerts, patronage of fundraisers, and support of financing. From an aesthetic standpoint, it IS a show, after all; why stick your thumb in your audience's eye? And from an educational standpoint, again I say you can learn more than the director has time to teach from most styles of music.

But there's also this: remember when you were in school, and you had to learn how to do something - say, for example, find the area of a sphere - and you didn't want to do it, because it took effort, and you asked in your whiny teenager voice "why do we have to learn this, what difference does it make"? At that age, most kids don't want to do anything challenging unless they can understand what's in it for them, and preferably today. Well, with music that nobody likes, it's just another thing they have to work on, without seeing the benefit. But when they get applause -- and from their peers, not their parents -- they've gotten all the motivation they need to work at it.

Joe Baker, who is glad to see that we agree at least a little.

Follow Ups: