Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on October 14, 2003 at 02:15:04:

In Reply to: Comparing old-timers equipment to today posted by Mark Heter on October 14, 2003 at 01:41:46:

Right on! I remember when Bill Bell's record came out. I thought that bell front rotary valved horn he was holding in the record jacket photo was the absolute coolest thing I'd ever seen!!!!!

Nowadays there seems to be such a bias against the bell front horns that you can feel the stares of disapproval if you even think of bringing one to a local band rehearsal.

That all being said however, I think it's also fair to say that the orchestra biz is a lot more competitive place these days than it was in what we think of as the "good old days". I had a cousin who played cello in the Philadelphia Orchestra for decades. He told me about his audition. Apparently he went and played for Stokowski, and Stokowski said he liked the way he played and that was it - he was IN. No cattle call, no screen, no committee, no nothing. I suspect the money was nowhere near what it is today and the competition for the jobs was also nothing like it is now. It wasn't even uncommon for several members of a family to play in the same orchestra.

And like most other endeavours, the tighter the competition the more "high tech" the equipment and the more people are forced to be equipment junkies to avoid falling behind the competition.

Funny thing - I think the orchestras used to sound better than they do now. Not necessarily technically more proficient, just more musical and better sounding. Might just be my failing ears and brain, but I don't think so.

Flame away!!!!!

Follow Ups: