Re: The Wham of Sam: tubist?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on October 03, 2003 at 20:30:35:

In Reply to: The Wham of Sam: tubist? posted by Wade on October 03, 2003 at 18:42:05:

Wade,
Ok, I have never been able to get a straight answer to these questions out here. There is a fabulous arranger in town by the name of Don Hannah who did most of the writing in town at that time. He doesn't remember if it was him or the great trad player Bob Short, who lived here around that time. It definitley had to be someone in town because the Union was tres strong at that time. As far as the album goes, it was probably recorded in LA, but the Rat-Pack shows were all local guys. I will make some more inquiries this weekend. There was a time, I am told, that if you were a tuba/bass doubler who was a GOOD tuba player, you could make a great living here. The proof is in a guy named Gary Russell who just retired and moved to Hawaii. He came to town in the early 70's and made a killing, so much so that he owns a bunch of land on the big island and will never want for anything. He was a fine player who doubled on bass bone.

Oddly enough, people here aren't very forthcoming with details about the golden days of Vegas. Suffice to say, if one had to make a living playing in town now, they would be living in a cardboard box under an overpass on I-15. Them's the breaks.

Chuck

Follow Ups: