Re: Re: Re: The Wham of Sam: tubist?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaDude on October 04, 2003 at 11:54:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: The Wham of Sam: tubist? posted by Wade (post purchase) on October 04, 2003 at 01:21:59:

Red was a great tuba player. I remember studying with Red for several months back in the late 70's. His motto was to practice scales, arps, and chord voicings 8 hours a day and then go off and gig at night. He was a fantastic technician. My favorite exercise was the two octive pops where a player would, for close to an hour, play two octive jumps by adjusting the appiture of the embersher(sp) and more diaphram. He likened it to the appiture of a camera adjusting for light and speed. That exercise made walking octive bass lines very simple. His lessons were never the same duration, and he always came over to my parents house to give me the lessons. There were some 30 minute lessons and then there were the 2 hour lessons. I remember a lot of the lessons were talking theory and reminissing about past experiences. I really enjoyed those lessons and was sad when the lessons came to an end.

TubaDude

Follow Ups: