Re: Besson 983

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on October 23, 2002 at 02:11:52:

In Reply to: Besson 983 posted by SkyviewTuba on October 22, 2002 at 23:38:16:

I really like my 983, but it is a bit small to use for most band and symphony applications. I recently used it for three days of Oktoberfests, with everything played in the low octave. However, we also were using mikes, so projection was no problem. There's certainly no problem hearing it as a solo, or small ensemble tuba. Many folks prefere the beefer Willson Eb for that reason - it's bigger and projects a bit better. However, I simply could not live with the ergonomics of the Willson that I had briefly owned, unless I had had another thousand bucks to get it modified in ways that would have made it work for me (having the lead pipe lowered, for starters). Also, I think if your going to go for that big of an Eefer, you might want to consider a good 3/4 CC instead. Certainly the low end fingerings would be a lot easier. I asked Pat Sheridan what one could do to further "supe-up" a 983, and he simply said nothing other than getting the valves vented. I think it's a really well designed horn, and a very good, "out of the box" horn. Pat also said that he sometimes has a new, off-the-shelf 983 made available for his appearances (rather than carting his horn around), and has never had any problems doing so. Some people can't deal with the slightly stuffy bottom low notes on Bessons, but I've never had much problem with that. I've always been a very strong low end player. Personally, I love the Besson sound, and will gladly put up with a small bit low end stuffiness in exchange. Still, I must have played 500 low F's (maybe more) over those three days, and they all pop'd out just fine. Hope this helps. All I can really tell you is that I like mine. I think that they sometimes go used for less than 5K.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: