Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sheet Metal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on October 15, 2002 at 11:29:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sheet Metal posted by Art H on October 14, 2002 at 22:52:37:

You know, I think it's a matter of economy of scale. I once saw a metal spinning operation that turned out stainless steel woks--big ones; about 18 inches or so. The raw material looked to be a bunch of round pieces of sheet. It took the spinning machine about 15 seconds to turn out one of these things--no human intervention involved. I can't imagine that bells wouild be too much different. Large branches could be stamped in halves, the way sousaphones are made. The problem is that to be economical, you'd have tool up to produce 10,000 of these things a year.

Stainless can be soldered quite easily using the right flux--I get good results with concentrated phosphoric acid.

I suspect that the biggest problem is that the tonal qualities of the result would be disappointing. After all, you don't see many stainless-steel flutes or trumpets.

However, I've seen a titanium flute, but titanium doesn't spin like steel or brass--you'd have to make your parts using creep-forming and welding.

Follow Ups: