Re: Jumbo Sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on October 13, 2002 at 14:30:08:

In Reply to: Jumbo Sousaphones posted by Steven on October 13, 2002 at 07:30:19:

Steven,
I have a Conn 46K sousaphone, in very good condition, that I take out for gigs. Built in 1929, it has a 28" bell diameter, has four retaining screws, and a large-bore valve section. I had assumed that it was .770", but the different ports measured from about .772" to about .780". It is satin-silver plated with bright silver trim, and for reasons unknown, the entire bell is gold-plated. I believe this was one of the very first 'naked lady' Conns. The 'lady' is not in a double pentagon, but rather in a florid heart-shape at the top of the engraving.
The two difficulties encountered when playing this instrument are 1) a quite long valve stroke, and 2) quite a lot of weight for the left shoulder. If one can deal with these two items, it is a wonderful-playing horn with a marvelous sound. Unlike the other poster's experience, I've found that the instument plays well at any dynamic level, has good intonation, and has such good priviledged tones that it needs no 4th valve, which would just make it heavier (ugh!).
Steven, if you happen to live in Rhode Island and have a lacquered 46K, I hope you are enjoying it - that's a fine horn, too!
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: