Re: Opinions -- help with thesis topic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on October 01, 2002 at 21:14:12:

In Reply to: Opinions -- help with thesis topic posted by lisa on October 01, 2002 at 17:41:50:

I am by no means an expert on the subject of music and its emotional affects, but I do have a bit of a research background. Certainly an important part of your first chapter will include a discussion of the Greeks and their belief that different modes affected different emotions (Plato, "the republic."). Likewise, it would be criminal not to discuss this topic (greeks)in your lit review (chapter 2). I am sure there is an extensive body of literature on your topic from a psychological or philosophical gaze. Whether or not there is any research about music and chemical changes, I just don't know. Howard Gardner has done a significant amount of research on brain activity in the field of education, and his work has yielded what is referred to as learning styles. One of those "styles" that he identifies is related to music. I bet Howard Gardner's research could be a great starting point for your research. Just get one of his books (or journal articles) and read through the reference list... there is probably something there that will help.

Not to state the obvious, but a general search in ERIC, or DAI will probably be chock full of research on music and its psychological effects.

Follow Ups: