Re: Listening list

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on October 31, 2001 at 14:14:47:

In Reply to: Listening list posted by Steve Dedman on October 30, 2001 at 23:11:26:

Listening is so important!

All of my applied students have an assignment called "Tune of the Week". They are given a list at the beginning of each semester of fifteen tunes. I also post the TOW on the studio bulletin board. They are required to listen to the piece and to write a non-scholarly paper on what they liked and disliked about the piece and what they liked and disliked about the performance.

They must do ten per semester. If they fail to do ten they are dropped a whole letter grade for lessons.

My milage has varied on this. At Illinois State it went over like a turd in a punch bowl, but at UGA the students really dig the assignment and the write ups are terrific. I have eight semesters worth of tunes, so it rolls over every four years.

My take on this is that when I went to college, I knew less than nothing. I would have loved someone to tell me what literature I needed to know at the very basic level to be a "well read" musician.

If you are interested in my Tune of the Week list, drop me a note...or perhaps Sean would consent to letting me post it as a message.

Keep listening!

Follow Ups: