Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 20, 2001 at 01:08:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Jay Bertolet on October 19, 2001 at 22:54:46:

I was only following along with someone else's concepts of logic, not my own.

With quite a few instruments, the vibration of the instrument is an important factor in the final sound product.

However, with our instruments, we are not vibrating brass. Brass is merely a containment vessel for vibrating AIR. That, for instance, is how I can blow out a match held above my tuba bell. It would be absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to blow enough non-frequenced air (ie: no lip buzzing) through the mouthpipe tube to blow out a match at the end of the bell, due to the extreme dissipation. Rather, it is the vibration of the AIR that blows out the match. Further, I cannot pull off that trick by resting the burning match AGAINST the bell, as the vibration is so little (even with the extreme intensity of effort) as to be a NON-FACTOR. Rather, it must be positioned directly over the end of the column of AIR. Again (and with more feeling ;^), we really do not play "brass" instruments. Rather, we play AIR instruments. The brass is merely a conveniently-buildable vessel for the AIR. As long as that vessel is reasonably secure and predictable (perhaps 1/25" thick sheet metal with no leaks, and thicker mechanical mechanisms (valves and their casings) for predictability, and a mouthpiece (tone generator) that is thick enough to not be flexible for the sake of predictability, the sound, given the same interior shape, will be 99.99999999999999999999999999999% the same. (Believe me. I've done the math. Ask Rick Denney ;^)

Of course, no sophomorically humorously suggested paper mouthpiece would be stable enough to be a predictable tone generator, but neither is it necessary to over-engineer that part of the vessel to the point of absurdity and, in some cases (such as thigh-rested tubas) becoming a contributor to physical discomfort.

I will concede (see pic in the original post of this thread) that many many times perception absolutely IS reality. Thousands have truly been cured of cancer with placeboic sugar pills, so I cannot discount the fact that the belief - that a heavier mouthpiece will help - indeed WILL HELP.

Joe "who thinks he is starting to talk like Dr. Young, or even worse, Klaus" S.

;^)

Follow Ups: