Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 23, 2001 at 02:48:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I did it - update posted by Rick Denney on October 22, 2001 at 10:50:37:

I don't think any sort of widening of the scope of such a "test" could be effectively accomplished:

1/ Just like me, unless the INTERIORS of the given "matched pairs" (a light and a heavy) of mouthpieces are to the liking of the player/tester, the player/tester will be so distracted by the "fact" that the tested pair of mouthpieces "suck" that he won't be able to perform normally. This sort of eliminates the possibility of one player (a "control") playing a bunch of fab-ed up twin mouthpieces (light and heavy) for review.

2/ Grabbing up a group of individuals to "listen" and then stir up all of their opinions in a pot certainly does NOT yield any sort of scientific conclusion...(does it?)

I did all that I could possibly do, IMO, that "sort of" was a controlled experiment:

I took two mouthpieces with identical interiors...an interior design that to me is usuable and does not "suck". I played both of them, one quite heavy and one quite
skeletonized (as Marcinkiewicz standard mouthpieces are, actually, compared to most other standard mouthpieces). I could not perceive ANY differences in FEEL, RESPONSE, SOUND, etc.

The key phrase is "COULD NOT PERCEIVE", even more key is "COULD NOT", and the jist of it is "NOT"

Joe "I'll not worry about huge valve caps at this point, as I just sold a decent 4-valve helicon in favor of custom-building a good 3-valve with the main consideration being weight" S.

Follow Ups: