Re: Re: Re: yamaha 641

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by From Parts Unknown on October 04, 2001 at 11:00:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: yamaha 641 posted by Steve C on October 04, 2001 at 09:50:00:

Yep. I think that play-testing is the key. There is one other problem where the 641 is concerned...price. As much as I love my horn, there is no way that I would pay anything NEAR what retail is these days (about $12,000 if I'm not mistaken). Another issue could be like Charlie was talking about concerning "Monster Weights". I've found that a little carefully placed black vinyl does the trick. Some people use steering wheel covers on the bell as well in certain situations. A horn is such a personal thing. There are good and bad versions of everything. Heck, if you listen to some people we're all stupid for not playing St. Petersburg tubas with Rose mouthpieces. It's just a matter of playing horns and finding one that suits your needs as a player. After I sold my first 641, my intention was to play as many horns as I could (which I did). When I played the 641 that I currently own, I knew from the first note that IT was the horn for me. I told the guy "I'll take it" and he said "we'll order one today". I had to explain that I was buying THAT horn, not one that would be ordered.

Follow Ups: