Re: Arnold Jacobs and Viennese tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on October 31, 2000 at 19:04:48:

In Reply to: Arnold Jacobs and Viennese tuba posted by Zechmeister on October 30, 2000 at 14:29:53:

When I studied with Mr. Jacobs, I had a Viennese system F tuba (I don't remember the maker, Shertzer?). I can assure you that Mr. Jacobs knew the fingering patterns for this instrument. The problem was (and is) co-ordination between the two hands in trying to play any technical passages.

I suppose that if you were brought up using both hands on this system, it presents no problem. For the rest of us, it is a nightmare. Keep in mind that Mr. Jacobs played upright bass proficiently and had fine left-hand dexterity.

The story of Mr. Jacobs taking the instrument to the bowels of Orchestra Hall to discourage anyone asking for it, is true.

Interestingly, he told me he had a student who bought a tuba just like Reiner's. After many months of trying to play it, I was told he filled it with cement and threw it off the (Navy?) pier into Lake Michigan.

Scientific measurements do not make this the best in tune tuba. It had shortcomings like most tubas, and a terrible low register. Many of the standard F tubas being produced today are far superior in every way.

I will say that the sound in the mid and upper register was quite nice. I took mine to a repairman who put a standard 1,2 and 3 in the right hand and moved the 4th valve to the left. It didn't help.

Follow Ups: