Re: Holton BATS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keating Johnson on October 22, 2000 at 19:26:07:

In Reply to: Holton BATS posted by Tim Jackson on October 22, 2000 at 14:55:36:

My Holton was made in the late 60's, it is the York copy now so much in demand. When I went to the factory, several times, Ted Kexel the then retired man who they kept on for PR etc. spent a good of time with me. Tooling was made to copy Jake's horn. Tooling existed that was also similar, and he told me that after taking measurements of Jake's horn they discovered that they had most of the tooling from York that had come to them by way of Buescher and Lyon and Healey--these both look remarkably York like if you find an old one. All of the horns like mine that I have seen--then in Wisconsin high schools and several cut to CC are in fact a bit different in slight ways--mostly from assembly. I ordered a CC and the factory held up and held up--because they waited then for 3 orders and made 3 at a time. At this rate there were slight differences. They were so slow that finally Jake sold me the horn (he kept in orchestra hall) and took the new one later. Jake also arranged for the case for which I paid him back. Holtons were a bit inconsistent as to slide placement etc., they waited to do 3 at a time, and the tooling was part new and part York. Interestingly they also had a display of prototypes from almost the company's founding and those were interesting to see. Ted was a terrific gentleman and at least once took me and my wife out to lunch while visiting.

Follow Ups: