Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: double tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 13, 2000 at 01:06:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: double tonguing posted by Joe Baker on October 11, 2000 at 15:15:41:

Ya gotta be kidding. Me, weigh in on the proper way to do triple-tonguing? I was listening, carefully, hoping that I would learn something that would help me clean up my horrid technique. Don't you remember the weaping and wailing I did over the mere prospect of playing the end of the Symphony Fantastique finale?

All I have learned so far is that I'm already in the doghouse. My triple-tongue goes tkt,ktk,tkt,ktk; just what Jay said his technique is *not*. Sigh. But Jay didn't explain why it is bad, as if I needed analytical data to supplement my own empirical research into the topic.

Before getting into an argument over what part of the tongue makes the articulation, though, I think we ought to mention that the biggest problem with poor technique, as I prove regularly, is not keeping the airstream going and using as little articulation as possible. I don't just go tkt, I go T!K!T!. The good players who sit next to me seem to be flavoring the air stream with just enough articulation to give the illusion of individual notes. They play right through the phrase as if it was slurred, and then add a bit of tongue.

Rick "wishing I could do that" Denney

Follow Ups: