Re: Holton,York cut jobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Not Cut on October 12, 2000 at 14:29:57:

In Reply to: Holton,York cut jobs posted by Phil on October 12, 2000 at 11:16:45:

Although I have never owned one, I have played on several Holton and York horns, all cut by Bob Rusk. I did not play any of them before they were cut so I couldn't tell you how they played as BBb's, but I did talk to Rusk on several occasions when I was seriously looking for an old BBb that was cutable. He said that certain aspects of the horn such as response and clarity of the sound MIGHT be improved because the CC is a shorter instrument and therefore a bit more responsive. However if it has serious intonation problmes as a BBb, then it will have intonation problems as a CC.

He also said that the best horns to cut were the small York BBb's. It one of these cut horns that the Getzen G-50 is patterned after. Next were the "Monster" BBb's that everyon is looking for and the medium sized horns were the least successful. He also advised me to look for a horn with a high/low pitch adjustment. Less tubing has to be removed from these horns. We also talked a bit about F tubas. He said that the small Eb's (like those that frequently pop up on Ebay make very good F's while the "monsters" don't.

Follow Ups: