Re: Valve trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan Lhotak on October 03, 2000 at 22:30:52:

In Reply to: Valve trombone posted by Joe on October 03, 2000 at 16:17:25:

See if you can find a pre-UMI King 2B or 3B valve 'bone. I currently play a 1970s vintage 2B as a doubling instrument; previous to that I played a 1960s vintage 3B when I had strong, young chops.

If you want a brilliant, lead trombone sound, choose the 2B; if you want a more full, round sound, look for a 3B. The 2B with its smaller bore makes high register playing very easy, but the low register suffers; the 3B has a larger, darker sound but makes you work in the upper register. I may be wrong, but.... if my memory serves me right, I think Tommy Dorsey played a 2B (slide version).

Both my King valve trombones play(ed) VERY well in tune... the only problems being the 3rd partial C and Cb (concert) fingered 1&3 and 1,2&3. On my present 2B I keep the 3rd valve slide pulled about 1/4 inch and this makes the intonation livable.

Of the current production horns, you might want to try one of the new Getzens. Last January my wife and I toured the Getzen factory, and they are still making horns the old fashioned way, one at a time with human hands.

As for other brands, I have seen one of the new UMI-King 2B valve 'bones, but it wasn't the quality of the older Kings. Another horn on the market is the Czech-made Amati, but the Czechs I know prefer US-made Bach and King instruments!

Good luck with your search - it took me a year to find a good 2B; I wish you better luck!

Follow Ups: