Re: 6/4 sound on a 4/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben Massin on October 18, 1999 at 20:50:28:

In Reply to: 6/4 sound on a 4/4 posted by John Hreha on October 18, 1999 at 16:45:00:

As a vertically challenged person (short and squat), who plays a vertically challenged tuba (again, short and squat), I have to say that anyone who says that a smaller tuba, or tubist, for that matter can't achieve the full sound of a larger tuba or person is a load of crap.

I went to school with a fantastic tubist who achieved a wonderfully HUGE sound on a small Mirafone, shining right through the orchestra on works by Bruckner, Mahler, Wagner....all the big orchestra composers.

It all has to do with not the velocity of air, but the volume of air. Practice breathing slowly, taking your time emptying out the air....as I've heard Warren Deck describe it....a tractor on cruise control. (Whatever the hell that means....it works great in my mind.......)

Also, first, aim for the prettiest sound you can achieve. Listen to as many tuba albums you can get your hands on......also, you should check out as many opera recordings of baritones and tenors....if you can match Jussi Bjorling's sound and vibrato, you're way ahead of the game.

No posting on this tuba list would be complete without me saying "just my 2 cents!"

Ben

Follow Ups: