Re: Re: Cryogenic Resonance Restoration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Robinson on October 16, 1999 at 10:58:15:

In Reply to: Re: Cryogenic Resonance Restoration posted by Joseph Felton on October 14, 1999 at 09:30:10:

I also am not an expert on the cryo process however my boss Wayne Tanabe is. The Brass Bow is the only repair shop that has a cryo tank on site and is programed specifically to treat brass instruments. Most companies that freeze horns use the same program for freezing everything from razor blades to motorcycle engines; however Wayne has developed a program to enhance resonance in brass instruments. It takes over 30 hours to do a run and goes well below -300. For more info see our website www.thebrassbow.com/.

While I am not an expert on the actual process I am on the results. While I was still in college one December I went to the Midwest Band and Orchestera Clinic where I entered a raffle by a company that did Cryogenic treatment. I actually one a free treatment but did not actually go through with it because I thought it was a bunch of hooey. Several years later I ended up working at The Brass Bow and still thought it was a gimmick. After working there for about a year Wayne finnaly talked me into freezing my Besson Eb as I was having problems with the valves hanging up even after rebuilding them. Wayne said that some horns have a lot of stress in the valve casings and that freezing will sometimes help this. Not only did my valves work better but the horn resonated and responded quicker, the low range and valve combinations opened up and a few minor intonation problems were improved. I have also frozen my Alex F and noticed great improvement in the mid-low register. When I froze my Nirschl York it made it just a little more like the original in sound, opened up the low register, and made soft playing a little easier. After Floyd Cooley played my horn he had us freeze his. Just 2 weeks ago we froze his new Nirschl and we are freezing Gene Pokorney's on monday.

In my experience and opinion freezing will help most any instrument. The degree of change varies greatly. It will not make a bad or mediocre instrument great but it will tweak a great one and make it better. If you have questions feel free to call and talk to Wayne or Me Mon. -Fri. 10-6 central at 847.253.7552

I hope this info will be useful!

Ian Robinson

Follow Ups: