Re: Cryogenic Resonance Restoration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on October 14, 1999 at 09:30:10:

In Reply to: Cryogenic Resonance Restoration posted by Doug on October 01, 1999 at 23:16:44:

I'm not an expert on this topic at all but what I have read strongly suggests that it is 99% bunk when applied to brass instruments. I remember doing a search on the web once and finding a web page of one of these companies that actually does the freezing. The web page discussed the topic and actually declared that any change that took place on a molecular level would be reversed as soon as the brass was returned to a normal temperature. Apparently, this technology was developed for use on steal.. which does maintain the new molecular changes when brought back to room temperature. Interestingly enough, there *is* a way to destress brass that is used all the time in the manufacturing process. It is my understanding that many brass manufacturers routinely anneal various parts of an instrument after it has been shaped in order to 'destress' it. The downside to this procedure is that if overdone it will pull too much zinc out of the brass and make it brittle. The short version of this speil is that any
'destressing' that is going to happen has probably already been done and the rest will only happen by letting the horn sit for about 30 years. ;b
I once discussed this deep freeze thing with a teacher and he said that he knew a few trumpet players that had had the procedure done. None of them seemed to regret having it done but interestingly enough none of them seemed to think it dramatically altered the horn either. Atleast in my mind.. that seems to indicate that these trumpet players really didn't see experience any difference at all save for the one in their head.
just my two cents,
joseph

Follow Ups: